Saturday, February 7, 2009

50 degree party

It reached 50 degrees today.

Wonder if the home town university students held a 50 degree party. Met a friend at the local coffee shop today and he asked if I was throwing such a party. Haha. Said friend knows about such parties as he is a former attendee at a few.

Actually, such a party was not "held", it happened. The first spring day the tempurature hit 50, the university vacated - students as well as some faculty - and headed to a local park where we celebrated the arrival of spring. Some years in a drizzle, some years while standing on soggy grass and some years while standing atop snow banks.

There were snow banks the year I decided to do what my mother warned me against - jumping off the bridge because someone else did. All I can say is water is darned cold when ice chunks are floating in it - but what the heck, I was young and looking for an adventure. And I got one - mighty cold walk home with all those wet clothes on - didn't think that through very well.

I'd like to think I'm smarter these days.

No comments: